Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Week 2 - MTC

Jessica at the temple

Companions:
Sister Horner: From Heber, UT. She is the most caring, charitable person ever. I love her.
Sister Mandla: She is from Australia and is a WISE soul for a 19 year old. (going to Denmark)
Sister Leland & Sister Allen

Sister Leland, Jessica, & Sister Randall

Other Sisters in my district:
Sister Randall: She is from SLC and we have a lot in common. We talk about movies and pop culture all day.
Sister Leland: The most energetic and loving person. She is from Portland and always gives me the biggest hugs.


Sister Mandla on Sister Randall's back

Sister Horner & Jess


Teachers:
Sister Landry: Never speaks in English.. Always in Norsk! So hard to understand her, but she is nice.
Brother Bartholomew, (can't spell his name): energetic teacher and is good at teaching us how to teach the gospel.
Brother Smith: Teaches A lot of Norsk and grammar.. some gospel too. He is really cute...
Brother Williams: Super nice and helpful teacher. One of my favorites! Very personable.

Hey! Hvordan gar det?
The MTC is pretty great! Sometimes I wish we could leave and go see the temple lights.. but oh well! A lot of learning and preparing going here. 

I am teaching lesson everyday in Norsk. It is difficult, but I like the challenge. All day, I just focus on how I can help my investigator see the need for the gospel in their life. We get in a lesson and sometimes all we can do is give simple testimonies. Because that is all we know how to do in Norsk. We just discovered yesterday that we were using mattress pads as blankets for two weeks! hahaha We found some legit blankets. We were thinking wow the MTC is brutal with their prison blankets.. duh haha

We had Sheri Dew come speak to us on Sunday. I was so inspired by her talk. She talked about the importance of asking questions. It leads to growth, enlightenment, and revelation. She asked us if we are willing to engage in a spiritual wrestle with God. Most revelation comes when we are in a spiritual wrestle with God. We understand and become better. It increases our faith. We need to do our part to receive an answer. When we wrestle with God we come to know him better. It is truly up to us to know the truth. I am so grateful for the continuing wrestle I have had with God. That is what life is about. 

I have come to know that we are never alone, especially in hard times. Like Ether 12:6: "faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am grateful for trials because "the greater our sorrow the greater our capacity to feel joy." I know that the atonement is real. It not only covers sin, but our pains and afflictions. The Lord loves us and wants us to be happy.. remember this is a plan of happiness! The church is true. I have experienced the Holy Ghost testify to me the truth many times. I love you all! Thanks for the support! 

Love, Sister Allen

Hey Mom!
P-day schedule: Get up, print off emails, laundry, write emails, go to the temple!!... then 6:30 we have to get in missionary clothes and do study until 9:30pm. Wow, I can't believe you are already done with your SLCC class. That will be a nice break. I think you will be an amazing gospel doctrine teacher. You will make it actually interesting and people will actually feel the spirit during it.. haha You are practicing your missionary skills. Yes, I finally saw Jordan. Did you get the picture? I probably looked terrible that. I never have time to get ready for the day. I run at gym.. I do sit ups, push ups, leg lifts.. pretty much all that you have taught me. My arms are sore today. Exercise is so important as a missionary. I am so happy to hear Taylor's mission papers are in!! Keep me updated! How exciting. What is Grandma Jeanne's address? Thanks for praying for me. I can definitely feel your prayers. I love you! We do a lot of the same thing here in the MTC so my emails aren't going to be that exciting for the next five week. I am sure it will get interesting once I am in Norway.
Oh ya! I have been called to be the District Sister Training Leader.

Note from Jenn:
Hi family,
I thought both of these letters were awesome so I decided to send even the personal family one to all of you.  I love that she was made a District Sister Leader and I love how she describes her companions and teachers.  I will also forward a few pictures to you too that I thought were cute.   She is doing so great and she is soooo happy!!!  I love it!  Thanks for supporting her she really appreciates it and so do I.  She has specifically asked us to pray for her to have the "gift of tongues".  The more prayers the merrier.  Thanks again.
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment